After 55 years operating from studios in North Adelaide, NWS Nine Adelaide is on the move to new premises in the Adelaide CBD.
Refurbishment at the new address, 169 Pirie Street, has commenced with Nine’s 100-strong staff expected to be onsite from the third quarter of 2015.
Nine will also gain naming rights to the former Adelaide Bank building and will occupy space previously used by Bendigo Bank. The redevelopment will include a glass-fronted studio at street level, enabling passers by to witness production from the street.
David Gyngell, Chief Executive Officer of Nine Entertainment Company, said:
“Since we acquired Nine in Adelaide last year Sean O’Brien and the team have worked tirelessly to build the business and connect with the community.
“This move to the heart of the city, to become an integral part of the fabric of Adelaide, will reinforce that commitment.
“Congratulations to Sean and the team who have secured this new site for us.”
Sean O’Brien, Managing Director of Nine Adelaide, said:
“We have undergone significant change over the past twelve months.
“Our business has grown and now is the time to undertake the biggest change in our history since we started broadcasting in 1959.
“We leave the bricks and mortar behind but take our memories to a building we have designed to support a business that is no longer just about television, but encompasses digital, events, social media and a resurgence in community involvement.”
NWS has been operating from its existing Tynte Street site since it began broadcasting in September 1959. The studios have hosted a number of productions, including national programs Here’s Humphrey and The Curiosity Show. In more recent times the station’s ‘Kevin Crease Channel 9 Studio’ has also been used as a venue for events such as the Adelaide Fringe Festival.
Last month the studios hosted a photographic exhibition celebrating 55 years of NWS Nine.
Tomorrow night (Saturday 11 October) at 7.00pm, Kate Collins and Brenton Ragless, joined by former Federal Minister Amanda Vanstone, radio 5AA‘s David Penberthy and Jane Reilly, and news veteran Keith Conlon, present a local Nine News special looking back at the biggest news stories from South Australia over the past 55 years. 55 Years Of News — The 10 Biggest SA Stories will also be broadcast on WIN South Australia and Southern Cross Nine in Spencer Gulf/Broken Hill.